Blends and Type


Sacred Music - Rexburg, ID 04/23/2010 - Sony DSC-H7 f/5, 10/600, ISO 100, sharpness adjustment, vignette, text and masks

The sound of flowers
1- Rexburg, ID 4/23/2010 - Sony DSC-H7 f/2.8, 10/300, ISO 320
2-Rexburg, ID 4/24/2010 - Sony DSC-H7 f/4, 10/2000, ISO 100

I took a bunch of pictures this week not really thinking about what I was going to do for my post. When it was time to start working on Photoshop, I looked trough my pictures over and over not knowing what to do, until I came up with this two ideas. I think they turned out pretty good after all. They sort of go together even.
The inspiration for "The sound of flowers" came from a quote I saw in the piano room at my girlfriend's apartment complex that said "Music is what feelings sound like." I was actually going to use the quote in the picture, but it felt cramped, so I decided not to. I blended the picture of the piano with the flowers because I think that if the sound of the piano could be turned into an object, it would turn into flowers. In other words, flowers and the sound of the piano evoke the same kind of emotion. Yeah, I'm not sure of that makes sense... I enlarged the picture of the flowers and set the blending mode to overlay. Then I used a mask to hide the parts I didn't want.
"Sacred music" came to me after experimenting with several text effects and many different pictures. I spent a lot of time working and I didn't like any of them. I was getting frustrated when I finally had this idea. I made two different layers of "background" text with names of church hymns. It took a while because I didn't want the words to repeat too much, so I only copied and pasted once for each layer. Then I reduced the opacity to about 40% and masked both layers to show the organ.

5 comments:

Caryn said...

Lucas, your photography and editing is absolutely gorgeous! The colors are so vivid. I love the way you blended the flowers into the piano keys. Killer effect! Keep up the great work. :)

Jace said...

Hey man these are great. I really like the piano, it looks like the flower are painted on the keys. Great editing!

Kristen Larson said...

Lucas!
This is fantastic, I love the photo of the organ in the Taylor, has great light, composition, and great edits.
Also the one of the piano, is very well done, looks like the piano went through a tattoo job. The colors are phenomenal, not too much but not too little.

Erica Arguello said...

I absolutly love your photos!!! You have such a creative style. The first picture, the angle it was taken, make me think that it's pinting to heaven. They all look really great.

sarahels said...

The piano keys look amazing! I never would have thought to blend those two together but they look stunning! The sacred music picture with the text is gorgeous too. Good work!